A few thoughts emerged from today's game:
1) Devante Parker and Mike Pouncey are not optional pieces of our offense. Parker is unique in his physicality; Pouncey is the difference between getting a push and not- we just couldn't establish the middle of scrimmage today on run plays.
2) We have a real leader on defense. Vance Joseph understands his personnel, makes smart in game adjustments, and can clearly command respect. Look at how the Dolphin DE's set the edge to control Wilson today instead of blindly chasing sacks. Our guys played as a team- it is too bad Wake lost his head with that personal foul, but otherwise, defensive discipline was exemplary.
3) Tannehill is going to run this year.
4) We are going to take shots when the other team attacks our underneath routes (as Seattle did today.) We need to convert those opportunities- Stills' drop is still making me nauseous.
5) We aren't good on special teams. It's not just the blocked field goal. Our punt coverage was awful, we missed opportunities to pin them inside the 20, and we covered their returns abysmally. Worse still, constant penalties negated positive field position all day. We probably lost 6 points in the punting game today.
6) Gase trusts his guys. Going for it on fourth was likely dumb (get your first point, especially in what is going to be a low scoring affair.) However, in a first game of what we hope is a long career, there are worse things than trusting your team. The fellas should want to give extra going forward for a coach who clearly believes in them. I hate the call; I am not the leader of the franchise, though.
7) Abdul-Quddus is the man.
8) Arian Foster is a strange player. He is beautiful to watch in space, but his days within the tackles might be past. It would be wise to get Pead healthy and involved in the trench work.
All in all, it was a gutting loss given that we left 13 points on the field and Seattle probably got all but 4 of theirs. It was, as several of us had called it, a completely winnable game, and losing these has a way of making 8-8 out of 9-7. However, there are many positives on both sides, and we have a team that fights until the whistle. There will be better days- I believe we have found the right leadership and a lot of the right personnel. I'm on the ledge- but it may turn out to be nice out here; I'm not planning on jumping.
Home » Unlabelled » 8 Quick Takes on Today's Game (and what it Foretells for the Season)
Sunday, September 11, 2016
Posted by Jay Lopez