Displaced, die-hard NFL fans who maintain a nearly obsessive allegiance to their favorite team despite being far removed from its local market, will always have a home at DIRECTV. To honor those stalwart fans, DIRECTV has unveiled the first official list of the top displaced-fan cities in America and is also launching a national search for the Ultimate Displaced Fan.
DIRECTV analyzed data from more than one million NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscribers to identify the cities that hold the highest percentage of fans for each NFL team. In addition, the nation's digital satellite television leader is setting out to crown one lucky NFL fan as America's "Ultimate Displaced Fan," and send him or her to Tampa for Super Bowl XLIII and a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Notable among the list of top displaced-fan cities were Las Vegas and Orlando, the only cities to house the highest percentage of displaced fans for more than two different teams. Las Vegas led in displaced fans for the Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers, while Orlando played home to the highest percentage of New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions fans. The list revealed several notable city/team relationships such as Washington D.C. housing the highest percentage of displaced fans for its most storied rival, the Dallas Cowboys, or Minneapolis housing the highest percentage of fans for its biggest rival, the Green Bay Packers.
The DIRECTV Ultimate Displaced Fan Search will allow NFL fans throughout the country to enter submissions on the DIRECTV Ultimate Displaced Fan Search page at DIRECTV.com/NFL between Sept. 11 and Nov. 30, 2008. There, fans can stake their claim to this unique title through written essays/blogs, photos or video submissions that illustrate exactly why they should be crowned the Ultimate Displaced Fan. One winner will be selected by a panel of judges, based on the example of dedication they display to their favorite team and the creativity of their submissions.
The winner will receive a dream prize package, including a trip for two and two tickets to Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa, Fla. In addition, the winner will get to meet Super Bowl XLII MVP and New York Giants Quarterback Eli Manning, as well as a player from their favorite NFL team (if it's not the Giants), and play side-by-side with celebrities and star athletes in DIRECTV's Celebrity Beach Bowl flag football game, also held in Tampa during Super Bowl week. Finally, the winner will participate in their own media tour where they'll rub elbows with NFL stars while doing interviews on "radio row" at the official Super Bowl media center.
Below are the U.S. cities featuring the largest out-of-market fan base for each NFL team (based on percentage of NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscribers in the DMA that have listed the specific team as their favorite). The results exclude all cities that are within the home territory of the local team.
1. Arizona Cardinals – St. Louis, MO
2. Atlanta Falcons – Greenville-Spartanburg, SC / Asheville, NC
3. Baltimore Ravens – Harrisburg-Lancaster, PA
4. Buffalo Bills – Orlando-Daytona, FL
5. Carolina Panthers – Norfolk, VA
6. Chicago Bears – Las Vegas, NV
7. Cincinnati Bengals – Charleston-Huntington, WV
8. Cleveland Browns – Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL
9. Dallas Cowboys – Washington, DC
10. Denver Broncos – Las Vegas, NV
11. Detroit Lions – Orlando-Daytona, FL
12. Green Bay Packers – Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
13. Houston Texans – Fresno-Visalia, CA
14. Indianapolis Colts – Knoxville, TN
15. Jacksonville Jaguars – Norfolk, VA
16. Kansas City Chiefs – Des Moines, IA
17. Miami Dolphins – Atlanta, GA
18. Minnesota Vikings – Des Moines-Ames, IA
19. New England Patriots – Orlando-Daytona, FL
20. New Orleans Saints – Jackson, MS
21. New York Giants – West Palm Beach, FL
22. New York Jets – West Palm Beach, FL
23. Oakland Raiders – Las Vegas, NV
24. Philadelphia Eagles – Baltimore, MD
25. Pittsburgh Steelers – Cleveland, OH
26. San Diego Chargers – Las Vegas, NV
27. San Francisco 49ers – Portland, OR
28. Seattle Seahawks – Portland, OR
29. St. Louis Rams – Fresno-Visalia, CA
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Greenville-Spartanburg, SC / Asheville, NC
31. Tennessee Titans – San Antonio, TX
32. Washington Redskins – Raleigh-Durham, NC
You can read more about it http://www.displacedfansearch.com/