SAINTS QB DREW BREES, DOLPHINS QB CHAD PENNINGTON & TEXANS QB MATT SCHAUB; REDSKINS RB CLINTON PORTIS, EAGLES RB BRIAN WESTBROOK & PANTHERS RB DE ANGELO WILLIAMS CANDIDATES FOR
FEDEX AIR & GROUND® NFL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK HONORS
Fans To Vote For Winners On NFL.com
FedEx To Deliver Funding For Safe Kids Organizations On Behalf of Winning Players In
Their Teams' Markets
Quarterbacks DREW BREES of the New Orleans Saints, CHAD PENNINGTON of the Miami Dolphins and MATT SCHAUB of the Houston Texans are the finalists for the FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week honors for games played on October 26 - 27, while running backs CLINTON PORTIS of the Washington Redskins, BRIAN WESTBROOK of the Philadelphia Eagles and DE ANGELO WILLIAMS of the Carolina Panthers are the finalists for the FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week honors, the NFL announced today.
Fans can vote for one player in each category on NFL.com/FedEx from 9 a.m. EST on Tuesday through 11 a.m. EST on Friday to determine the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week. The winners will be announced Friday afternoon on NFL.com.
Fans will be voting for more than their favorite player. As part of the Air & Ground program for the first time, FedEx is teaming up with Safe Kids USA – a national non-profit organization that works to prevent accidental injury among children – to deliver safer kids by making weekly $1,000 donations in the winning players' names. The funding directly benefits local Safe Kids coalitions in that team's city, to fund pedestrian safety improvements throughout the year. This year, FedEx celebrates its fifth year of the program and will surpass the $1 million mark in funding to create safer communities for children.
New this season, fans can tune into the "FedEx Air & Ground Lowdown" posted only on NFL.com/FedEx starting Wednesday mornings. The show examines the nominees in the Air & Ground categories through exclusive video highlights and expert analysis. NFL Network's MARSHALL FAULK and TERRELL DAVIS host the weekly five-minute show.
A closer look at the FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week finalists:
- New Orleans' DREW BREES completed 30 of 41 passes for 339 yards and three touchdowns in the Saints' 37 – 32 win over the San Diego Chargers in London.
- Miami's CHAD PENNINGTON passed for 314 yards and one touchdown completing 22 of 30 passes in the Dolphins' 25 – 16 win over their AFC East rival Buffalo Bills.
- Houston's MATT SCHAUB completed 24 of 28 passes for 280 yards and three touchdowns in the Texans' 35 – 6 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
A closer look at the FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week finalists:
· Washington's CLINTON PORTIS rushed for 126 yards over 24 carries in the Redskins' 25 – 17 win over the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.
· Philadelphia's BRIAN WESTBROOK contributed two touchdowns and 167 yards rushing on 22 carries in the Eagles' 27 – 14 win over the Atlanta Falcons.
· Carolina's DE ANGELO WILLIAMS finished with 108 yards on 17 attempts and one touchdown in the Panthers' 27 – 23 win over the Arizona Cardinals.
FedEx, the premier global provider of transportation, e-commerce and supply-chain management services, is the Official Delivery Service Sponsor of the NFL, Super Bowl and Pro Bowl. Through the weekly FedEx Air & Ground Awards, FedEx recognizes those NFL players who represent the same speed, precision and teamwork that their customers have come to expect from the full range of FedEx air, ground, freight and international shipping services, delivering safer kids in the process. With thousands of trucks out on the roads each day, FedEx is committed to improving pedestrian safety for children, by funding education programs and environmental improvements, from signage and crosswalks to pedestrian walkways near schools and playgrounds.
# # #